17 September 2007

emails and apologies

Sometimes it can be difficult to think of something to write about. Our lives are usually pretty boring outside of answering emails about the multitude of natural disasters that strike our fair country. In fact, only last week there was an earthquake and soon after we received the following email:

so i decided against better judgement to be one of the 403 emails you will received in the next 48 hours to ask if you all are doing alright.
instead i will ask how your cat is doing.
please let me know your cat is ok and that no natural disaster has caused a shortage in yarn to play with.
i do hope you two are well.
So, to answer Jeff's email and to update everyone, we are fine. The earthquake was off the coast of another island and we didn't even feel it over here.

We were able to check out The Island music scene last week. Roger went to a competition of sorts with his friend Qq.

It was the annual "Cak dan Ning" competition, or as some may call it, beauty pageant. Anyway, while Roger was enjoying hearing people answer questions in a language we do not understand (the whole thing was in the local city language, not the national language that we speak) he was able to watch a band called Mocca perform. The next night they had a free show near our house so we went and stood in a parking lot for a few hours to hear them.


The picture it not so great, Roger apologizes and blames it on the lighting. But please notice that the venue for the concert is a store called "House of Rotten Apple." If you look closely at the right side of the picture you can see that it is next door to "The Richard Hair Make." I think it's a salon. But who knows, maybe they make hair there.
And this display of bad grammar brings me to another email I have recently received from my lovely little brother:

Sister dearest,

In the latest blog update there were a few alarming mistakes which are a reason for concern. The worst is this sentence:
This led to a trip to the movie rental place and some pretty nasty side of the road burgers.
I had no idea what this said until I read it about 8 times and I do believe it would be better like this:
This led to a trip to the movie rental place and some pretty nasty side-of-the-road burgers.
I suppose that is all.

So to respond to Mel and apologize to the masses, I will blame my inability to clearly communicate in proper English to the environment around me. They can't speak English, so neither can I.


No comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP