20 December 2009

My Favorite Canadian Thing

So, Canada is a lot like the United States, at least where we live. I mean, we live a mere 20 miles from the U.S. border.
But there are some differences.
People here say "eh" and they don't have biscuits at McDonald's, they call their mom "mum" and have a weird different accent.
They don't have marshmallow creme and when UK is playing UConn all of the televisions at the gym are showing curling.
One great amazing difference is the bulk section of the grocery store. When I was first told about the bulk section I immediately thought of Sam's and stopped paying attention to whoever was talking, we never eat enough of anything to justify buying 48 boxes of it at once. But when I tuned back in to the conversation I realized the bulk section was something completely different. Something completely wonderful.

See this? It's the bulk section. There's a whole other aisle on the other side.
Cumin? Got it. Cajun seasoning? Got it. Flax seed? Got it. Ground cloves? Got it.
Aisles filled with almost any spice or grain you would ever need. It's perfect (especially when you are not staying here very long and hate to buy big, expensive jars of spices).
I love the bulk section. I think it's the greatest grocery store innovation of all time.
After 79 days of living here I think it's the thing I love most about Canada.

No comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP